Tuesday, January 27, 2015

It's A Plane! It's Superman! It's A Wild Turkey?

I'm pretty sure my oldest child, Corbin, needs his own television series.  Or at least his own following.  I am often left staring blankly into space, stupefied and amazed at his superior story telling capabilities.  This day was no exception to the wondrous wordplay that is my sons storytelling abilities.

This story happened on a day where I was given the option to leave my two youngest at home with dad while I got to run solo to pick up my oldest from school.  I jumped on that ship without even batting an eyelash.  I mean, I love my kids more than I love food...anyone who knows me, knows that is a pretty hefty love to be giving.  But, sometimes, a mom has got to just spread her wings and pick up the only missing child in her entourage up solo.

Corbin and I are driving back home, singing, laughing, and just all around acting goofy.  Cause that's how we roll.  We love to be goofy.  Sometimes we can't be so goofy because, well the baby usually sleeps in the car.  And we are way too loud at goofy to be goofy on the way home with baby in tow.

As we are acting a fool, driving along I see a gaggle of wild turkeys.  Yes, I said gaggle.  I'm not really sure how many turkeys are in a gaggle normally...or really what is even a gaggle.  I just wanted to use the word gaggle cause it sounds fun, plus it makes me kids laugh when I say it.  But, there was a LOT of turkeys.

So, I see this gaggle of turkeys running all crazy like in someones yard and point it out to Corbin.  He thinks these are the pets of said owner of yard.  But I quickly correct him and inform him that these are not pets, but merely wild turkey's.

I expect to explain the difference between a pet and a wild turkey.  Ahhhhh, no.  Instead I am left wondering where this kid got his amazing storytelling abilities from.  Instead, he proceeds to tell me about his encounter with a wild turkey.

Yes, you read that right.  My son, my 6 year old child, has encountered a wild turkey.

You see, it all started, from what I understand, the day I went into the hospital to bring into this world my youngest.  While I sat in bed, likely nursing, cuddling, and possibly even sleeping with said youngest child within the confines of the hospital, my son, my oldest, went on a hike with his father.

Vermont is full of places to hike.  And there are certainly no shortages of hiking spots around us either.  But, my youngest was born in January.  Just so you can get an idea of the time of year my oldest story takes place in.

During this hike they encountered a wild turkey.  This so-called wild turkey, upon seeing my child, went all crazy and attacked him.  A crazy wild turkey fight ensued as my son tried to fight for his life during this wild turkey attack.

Luckily he had his father with him.  This allowed dad to walk up behind the attacking wild turkey unheard so that he could grab the wild turkey, throw it against a rock, and kill it.

And what did they do afterwards?  Did they call Vermont Wildlife to report an attacking wild turkey?  Did they rush my 5 year old child (this was last year) to the emergency room to be mended and inspected by medical personnel from his attack?

NOPE!!!  They took the wild turkey that had just barely attacked my son, plucked it's feathers off, built a fire, cooked it, and ate it for dinner.  And once they finished eating their turkey dinner they realized that it was time to come get me and the baby from the hospital so they aborted their hiking expedition to nonchalantly grace me with their presence.

And there in lies the reason that you can never be too careful around wild turkeys....or, for that matter, why you should always encourage your child's storytelling abilities.  Without my sons amazing stories, I would have nothing to dazzle and amaze you with, therefore making this blog pointless.

No comments:

Post a Comment